The job as a cashier is often an entry level job, but can often become career position as you continue to gain trust with your employer.
The primary assets of a cashier are honesty and attention to detail. You need to demonstrate to potential hiring managers that you are careful, rarely make mistakes and can be trusted handling money.
The job description below can be helpful when creating a resume targeting positions for Retail Cashier, Store Clerk or Administrative Cashier.
Common Retail Cashier Job Duties
- Greets customers including answering phones and directing customer inquiries to appropriate party.
- Handles cash transactions between customer and retail store.
- Answers routine billing questions/issues from customers.
- Receives and processes all payments according to standard procedures.
- Scan products, operate scanning equipment and fix scanning issues.
- Processes credit and debit cards, helping customers use processing equipment.
- Counts money back to customer in an accurate and concise manner.
- Assists in the opening and closing of a retail location which includes and but not limited to cash handling and deposits.
- Informs customers about services available and assesses customer needs.
- Examine products being purchased for damages and price accuracy.
- Coordinate with retail staff for product inquiries and price checks.
- Process receipts and in store coupons for customers.
- Resolve escalated issues with angry customers.
- Train and sometimes supervise new cashiers or retail workers.
- Assists in the maintenance of store front and retail displays.
- Help stock shelves in proximity of the cash register.
- Completes, processes, and maintains applicable paperwork and records.
- Count the cash in the drawer at the end of the day ensuring cash equals receipts.
- Performs daily, weekly and monthly audits of cash intake or cash drawers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to speak clearly
- Detail oriented and highly observant
- Precise accuracy with money counting
- Very customer oriented with a good attitude
- Ability to prioritize tasks and process multiple tasks simultaneously
- Possesses strong mathematical skills
- Understanding of basic statistics
- Cash handling experience preferred
- Friendly with integrity and sincerity
- Ability to stay positive in high stress situations.
- Proven good customer service background
- Typically maintains professional demeanor
Common Retail Cashier Job Requirements
- 6 months-2 years minimum of customer service or sales experience
- Track record of honesty and loyalty
- Experience in a position that required trust
- Minimum: High School Diploma or equivalency
- Preferred: Associates Degree
Related: Retail Cashier Resume Example