This section of resumes provides samples for job positions in the legal sector. These positions include lawyers, attorneys, judges, corporate counsel, paralegal assistants as well as political resumes.
An attorney resume tends to be more like management and executive resumes. Utilize executive style summaries and bulleted achievements to optimize your results.
Resumes in these professions can be either one page or two page documents. With long history of experience, there is no reason that you can’t provide enough detail go into two pages. In some cases, three pages of information could be necessary for a senior level attorney with a long case history.
Sometimes an attorney or judge will build a simple one page resume that documents employment, employment dates, affiliations, degrees and specialization. Then they use an addendum that documents only their court cases. This may be necessary if the list of previous employment is extensive or if you have had more than 5-6 high profile cases that justify a long explanation of each case.
Attorney and Legal Resume Examples
- Civic Leader – Political Resume Example
- Compliance Officer Resume Example
- Court Clerk Resume Example
- Criminal Justice Resume Example
- Freelance Property Lawyer Resume Example
- General Counsel Resume Example
- Healthcare Attorney Resume Example
- Lawyer Resume Example
- Legal Secretary Resume Example
- Litigation Attorney Resume Example
- Paralegal Resume Example
- Patent Attorney Resume Example
- Principal Attorney Resume Example
- Prosecutor Resume Example
- Real Estate Attorney Resume Example
- Trial Attorney Resume Example
Legal Resume Tips and Advice
One important part of being an attorney is having the education and passing the bar. This information needs to be somewhere at the top of the resume. Less experienced lawyers may want to build a formal Education section while experienced lawyers can mention their education in the summary. Support positions such as paralegal can keep the education towards the bottom of the resume unless they are entry level. In that case, a student resume format would be most applicable, where education is stressed at the beginning of the document.
Attorneys also need to pay attention to the job they are targeting. While it is common for attorneys to work in several areas throughout their careers, it is still important to target and focus a resume on a specific area such as criminal law, prosecution, litigation, arbitration, contracts, bankruptcy, civil rights, etc. Even though you may be capable of performing multiple roles, if you are looking for a specific area, make sure 90% of your resume deals with your capabilities in that area. In some case, an experienced attorney may even build multiple resumes that emphasize different fields of law.
Resume Examples by Category
- PDF Resume Examples
- Military Resume Examples
- Curriculum Vitae CV Examples
- Before – After Resume Examples
- Technology Resume Examples
- Teacher Resume Examples
- Student Resume Examples
- Sales Resume Examples
- Professional Resume Examples
- Medical Resume Examples
- Management Resume Examples
- Legal Resume Examples
- Industrial Resume Examples
- Finance Resume Examples
- Executive Resume Examples
- Administrative Resume Examples